Friday 23 November 2012

Daśaratha kills a brahmin's son (Tweeted 22.11.12)



(Ramlila picture from Google images)

The purpose of such study material is that the aspirant begins automatically to make connections, and starts to comprehend and enjoy Sanskrit without the grind. I'll post these as often as I can. I hope to hear from you if you find such input useful. Unless otherwise specified, all passages are from Robert & Sally Goldman's Primer Devavaipraveśikā. In case you missed the passage on Twitter, here it is again.



The translation is a bit clunky because I've stuck to the grammar. I recommend http://www.learnsanskrit.org/grammar if you want to come up to speed at your convenience. If you have problems with the sandhi, please leave a comment and I'll reply.

There is (asti) a king named Daśaratha. That extremely righteous king lives happily. "The king is not unhappy," say the people. Once Daśaratha goes to the forest. In that forest, lives the son of a brahmin. The king thinks, "O! I see a beautiful deer (paśyāmi)!" And kills the boy with a sharp arrow. The bramhin comes and sees the killed son. He becomes extremely angry. And curses the king. "Hey Fool! Why have you killed my son? (Because of) your bad deed, I feel (anubhavāmi) sadness. I will not live without (my) son. You too, like me, (will) feel sorrow caused by a son." The king said, "Oh my! I am destroyed." Afflicted by pain, he returns home. 






No comments: