Wednesday 19 March 2014

#SanskritAppreciationHour 19th March 2014 BhagvadGita X.31-37

Tweets

  1. And that's all we have for today, Folks! Join us again soon for more . Will inform you of schedule for tom asap.
  2.  Retweeted by 
    Does Madu-Maas (month of Honey) same here. As per tulsi, Lord Ram was born in Madhumaas. In calender its called "Chait".
  3. मुनीनाम् अप्य् + अहं व्यासः Of the sages I am VyAsa कवीनाम् उशना कविः Of the poets I am the poet UshnA
  4.  Retweeted by 
    the syntax of Kashmiri language is essentially Sanskrit as is the etymology of most words
  5. वृष्णीनां वासुदेवो 'स्मि Of the Vrishnis I am Vaasudeva पाण्डवानां धनंजयः Of the Paandavas I am Dhananjaya (Arjuna) ...>>>
  6. Wonderfully animated and informative inputs today. Thanks to all participants :-) On to translation of today's last verse>>>
  7. वृष्णीनां वासुदेवो 'स्मि पाण्डवानां धनंजयः | मुनीनाम् अप्य् अहं व्यासः कवीनाम् उशना कविः (X.37)
  8.  Retweeted by 
    now spring is the month that he declared for beginng of srauta sacrifices
  9.  Retweeted by 
    Ditto in Telugu. Vaadinchanam = to argue; Vaad-vivaad (debate?) is also to be found in Hindi.
  10. The goodness of the good, the splendour of the splendid, the best of the best...
  11. जयः अस्मि व्यवसायः अस्मि I am victory, I am [strenuous] effort, सत्त्वम् सत्त्ववताम् अहम् I am the goodness of the good.
  12.  Retweeted by 
    in kashmiri language we use vaad which means arguing. Our mother tongue is mix of sanskrit.
  13. द्यूतम् छलयाताम् अस्मि Of cheats I am gambling तेजः तेजस्विनाम् अहम् I'm the splendour of the splendid (ardour,majesty,burning brightness)
  14.  Retweeted by 
    Has to do with astrology; Nov-Dec or Dhanur rashi is house of jupiter - In rasis starting with mesha it stands for 9th
  15.  Retweeted by 
    9th house represents dharma, pitr, guru, etc. hence of time (rashi chakra represents time element) Lord rep 9th element
  16. द्यूतम् छलयाताम् अस्मि तेजः तेजस्विनाम् अहम् जयः अस्मि व्यवसायः अस्मि सत्त्वम् सत्त्ववताम् अहम् (X.36)
  17. What I like in the next verse is that the Supreme Being finds an analogy even among the not to good...No Black/White divide here.
  18.  Retweeted by 
    God is pursuit,motivation,struggle,path and content of excellence.
  19. Any one have an answer for that last verse? How come months are Nov-Dec, but season is Spring? I'm confused.
  20. ऋतुनाम् कुसुमाकरः (X.35) Of the seasons I am Spring (lit. the maker of flowers, or abounding with flowers) I wonder why diff month & season
  21. मासानाम् मार्ग+शीर्षः अहम् Of the months I am Marga-Shirsha (roughly Nov-Dec)>>>
  22. बृहत्साम तथा साम्नाम् Of the chants I am [the Vedic melody] Brihatsaaman गायत्री छन्दसाम् अहम् Of the meters I am gayatri
  23.  Retweeted by 
    सर्वस्य हरः सर्वहरः=षष्ठी तत्पुरुषः
  24.  Retweeted by 
    There is a difference between kIrti and yashas; can some1 tell me what it is
  25.  Retweeted by 
    of memory being an outstanding feminine quality every married man would have experienced it :-)
  26. बृहत्साम तथा साम्नाम् गायत्री छन्दसाम् अहम् मासानाम् मार्ग+शीर्षः अहम् ऋतुनाम् कुसुमाकरः (X.35)
  27. Since he is the Supreme Being, what he identifies with must be the best in that group - stands to reason, no?
  28. स्मृतिः मेधा धृतिः क्षमा [contd. from last line - of the fem qualities -- ] memory, wisdom, courage and patience. (End fo verse 10.34)
  29. कीर्तिः श्रीः वाक् च नारीणां Of the feminine [qualities] I am fame, splendour and speech >>contd
  30. मृत्युः सर्वहरः च अहम् And I am all destroying death उद्भवः च भविष्यताम् and the origin of [things] to be >>>
  31.  Retweeted by 
    वादः प्रवदतामहम् As per श्रीधरस्वामी- I am वाद in the disputations. Other types are जल्प & वितण्डा
  32. मृत्युः सर्वहरः च अहम् उद्भवः च भविष्यताम् कीर्तिः श्रीः वाक् च नारीणां स्मृतिः मेधा धृतिः क्षमा (BG X.34)
  33. nominative singular of धातृ which itself is derived from the root धृ - to hold, to bear
  34. If you've just joined us, we are doing verses 31-37 Ch 10 of , helping us simultaneously to learn/revise the genitive plural
  35. Apologies!! :-) I am Jahnavi/I am daughter of Jahnu mixed up.
  36. I identified the genitive plurals for you in the first few verses.. from here on try to do it yourself. You'll never forget it via these vs
  37. धाताः अहम् विश्वतोमुखः I am the establisher/arranger (lit. one who places things) facing in all directions (omniscient)
  38. अहम् एव अक्षयः कालः I alone am indesctructible time >>>
  39. अक्षराणाम् अकारः अस्मि of all the letters of the alphabet, I am the letter 'a' द्वन्द्वः सामासिकस्य च and of the compounds I am the dvandva
  40. अक्षराणाम् अकारः अस्मि द्वन्द्वः सामासिकस्य च अहम् एव अक्षयः कालः धाताः अहम् विश्वतोमुखः (X.33)
  41.  Retweeted by 
    Doesn't vaad have to do with logic/argument and not discourse?
  42. To me, in this section, the Lord is also telling us what he thinks is best, so he's setting some standards here :-) >>>
  43. So in 10.32 we have सर्गाणाम् विद्यानाम् प्रवदताम् as shashthi bahuvacana - of creation(s), of knowledge(s) of those who speak
  44. अध्यात्मविद्या विद्यानाम् of [all] knowledge I am knowledge of the supreme self वादः प्रवदताम् अहम् Of those who speak, I am discourse
  45.  Retweeted by 
    Pl also note that Lord takes both masculine feminine/neuter forms with impact upon his being
  46. सर्गाणाम् of creations आदिः अन्तः च the beginning and the end मध्यं च एव अहं अर्जुन and even the middle, am I , Arjuna >>>
  47. Even in Gita dhyana verses this comes up, no?
  48. That's make much more sense. Except the alligator avataar? Can anyone tell us about that?
  49.  Retweeted by 
    झषाणां मकरश् चास्मि Alt. interpretation I have seen is: I am shark amongst the fishes
  50. If you have any questions on how a word is derived or what it means, please feel free to stop me. That's what we're here for. :-)
  51. Now the next one सर्गाणाम् आदिः अन्तः च मध्यं च एव अहं अर्जुन अध्यात्मविद्या विद्यानाम् वादः प्रवदताम् अहम् (X.32)
  52. In the first verse alone we have 4 opps to learn: पवताम्, झषाणां, शस्त्रभृताम्, स्रोतसाम् Can it get better? Read the Gita, revise
  53. स्रोतसाम् अस्मि जाह्नवी Of the rivers I am Ganga (daughter of Jahnavi) end of 10.31. Note all the shashti bahuvacanas..
  54. झषाणां मकरश् चास्मि Of the sea monsters I am makara (alligator/ avataar of Vishnu) >>>
  55. पवनः पवताम् अस्मि Of the purifiers I am the Wind रामः शस्त्रभृताम् अहम् Of the weapon bearers I am Rama (Note the 'of the' genitive plural)
  56. Seriously true. Do you think that makes capable of competing with You Tube? :-D
  57. BG 10.31 पवनः पवताम् अस्मि रामः शस्त्रभृताम् अहम् | झषाणां मकरश् चास्मि स्रोतसाम् अस्मि जाह्नवी (minimal sandhi for your convenience)
  58. >>yesterday, the forms change depending on the ending of the noun. genitive plural practice via
  59. So if all of you are ready we can begin. Oh wait - do refer to this table for vibhakti practice: because as we saw>>
  60. So for beginners, this section is a boon for learning/memorising the genitive plural/षष्ठी बहुवचन​ Because the Lord says "of these I am X"
  61. These verses form part of the intstruction to Arjuna, and in them Krishna expresses his essence by drawing on the best in categories>>
  62. Today we are going to do verses from Ch 10 of the Bhagwad Gita. We've covered some of the earlier verses and time to plough on :-)
  63. Sat Sri Akal and welcome all to on 19th March 2014. My God how this year is flying by...

No comments: